June Birchbox Review

After waiting what seemed like forever, my June Birchbox finally arrived.  Although, I had already peeked when my items were revealed on the 10th of the month, I still always get excited to receive it!  

If you aren't familiar with Birchbox, it's a monthly beauty subscription box where you received 4-6 sample items based on the profile information you fill out when you sign up.  It's only $10 a month and if you sign up now, you can use the code SUBSCRIBENOW50 to receive 50 points when you sign up ($5 to spend in the Birchbox shop).  So if you haven't done it already, please use my referral link to sign up!

This month there were 3 different boxes you could receive.  Mine says "next stop adventure."  I think I would have liked this better if I could currently afford to go on an adventure.  Side note: I don't like to write negative things, but I will say this is the least favorite of the special boxes from 2015.

This month's theme was "Say Yes."  On the information card it states: "Adventure is a state of mind.  It's about exploring the unknown, dreaming beyond the horizon, and letting go of the word 'no.'"  I like the concept of this.  In addition, each box came with a surprise code.  Unfortunately, my code is only for 10% off of a $50 purchase which I wasn't too thrilled about, but I did see other people won cool prizes and tote bags!

Each month, Birchbox provides a list of all of the items you will receive in the box.  I love that they do this because it's nice to have a description of each item and if you fall in love with something, they already let you know the price to purchase it in its full size in the Birchbox shop.

Skin Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels Full Size (8 pairs of eye gels): $30.00
Sample Size (1 pair of eye gels): $3.75

This was my sample choice for this month.  I used these on Wednesday morning because I had hardly slept, had to go into work early, and had a big day ahead of me.  My eyes were pretty puffy, but after using these, my face looked fresh and you could hardly tell I had only slept 4 hours!  I just wish there had been more than one sample of these because I would have loved to use them again in different circumstances.

Marcelle Waterproof Eyeliner in Indigo Full Size .04 oz: $11
Sample Size .028 oz: $7.70

Dr. Jart+ Premium BB Cream SPF 45+ Shade #2 Full Size 1.5 fl oz.: $39
Sample Size .17 fl oz: $4.42

I wasn't thrilled that I received this eyeliner in an Indigo color because last month, I received an eyeliner in a similar color. Although it was a different brand, there's only so many dark blue/purple eyeliners that I really need or want to try.  I emailed Birchbox just to give them some feedback regarding this.  As a result of their amazing customer service, they allowed me to choose a "Sample with Purchase" item from their Bonus Shop to make up for it!  As for the Dr. Jart+ item, it's hard to tell if this is something I would like.  When I originally filled out my profile, I was much tanner and now I just don't have the time or patience so I'm much paler and this unfortunately was too dark for my skin color.  I've heard good things about it though!
Temple Spa Good Hair Day Shampoo Full Size 6.8 oz: $14
Sample Size .84 oz: $1.73

Temple Spa In Good Condition Conditioner Full Size 6.8 oz: $14
Sample Size .84 oz: $1.73

I always like getting shampoo and conditioner samples because I typically travel on the weekends to see my boyfriend so this makes for easy packing.  However, I'm not too much of a fan of this brand and definitely wouldn't purchase them.  The smell kind of reminded me of plastic and I didn't really notice a big difference in my hair.

Pura Vida Lace Headband  Pack of 8: $18    
Sample (1 Headband): $2.25
The photo of this turned out weird.  I actually received a periwinkle blue color, which I love.  However, I'm just not a headband person.  They either give me headaches or I just can't figure out how to wear them.  Well actually, if I'm being honest, I never try out new things with my hair and I'm really boring.  I'm thinking I'll try to turn this into some sort of bracelet.
Total Estimated Value of June Box: $21.58
In addition, I will receive 10 points for each sample review and 10 points for sharing my box on Facebook or Twitter.  Thus, I'll get an additional 70 points, which is $7 to use in the Birchbox shop.  I'm happy with the value because it is double the price of the subscription (not including the points I will receive).

Overall, this wasn't my favorite Birchbox, but I'm okay with that.  The point of having this subscription is try new things and find out what I like and dislike.  If I always loved everything, how would I ever narrow down my beauty collection?!  If you want to try new things for just $10 a month, please use my referral link to do so!  It's always a great month when you know you'll receive a present in the mail :)


XOXO, 

Jen

Comments

  1. Love your Birchbox review!! I would love to sample the shampoo/condition myself ( I don't mind herbal/medicinal scents...helps keep the bugs away!!) and love your positive but honest review of the products received!! I got a Tig LE Box in which I love all 3 out of 5 samples esp. Oribe!!

    Ursula aka Blueridge Beauty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment