August 2014 Birchbox Review

My first introduction to subscription boxes was of course Birchbox.  It's still my all-time favorite and they have the absolute best customer service I've ever encountered (you'll hear more about this in my next blog post).

Birchbox is a monthly subscription box that costs $10 a month for women and they also have a men's edition that is $20 a month.  You can pay by the month or you can go ahead and purchase an entire year's subscription for $110.  When you sign-up, you fill out a survey so that they can try to customize your samples so that you get what you want.  Each month you get 4-5 deluxe samples, and recently Birchbox has started a new feature where each month, subscribers can choose one of the items that will be selected.  If you're interested in signing up, please use my referral link.  I promise you won't regret it!  Plus they have a great point system where you can earn money to shop for full size products for every purchase you make and for every review of each sample you receive that month!

This month's theme was "Lighten Up."  They also got creative and specialized the shipping label for each member.  It's hard to see in this picture, but mine was addressed to "Spectacular Jennifer Davis," and well I won't argue with that because I am spectacular.  




I love that the box is shipped in a pink box!  Although it does make it hard to throw them away :)

The individual boxes your subscription comes in monthly are great!  I've seen quite a few ways that people have gotten creative and reused the boxes for other purposes.


I love when they put some products in cute little packages because it's like open a present within a present :) 


Also, did I mention how cute the pink tissue paper is???  I have to stop myself from keeping it every month.


This month, I received the Neil George Shampoo and Conditioner, the Harvey Prince Ageless Body Cream, a sample nugg revitalizing face mask, and Laura Geller's cream eye shadow in Silver Sands.


I recently just bought a new shampoo and conditioner, but I'm never opposed to trying something new.  Plus these make for great travel size items (I'm currently sitting in an airport and my carry on liquids bag is basically all samples.)  It's a little on the pricey side for me as the Neil George Shampoo is $9.00 for 3.38 oz and the Neil George Conditioner runs for the same price.  However, each of these samples were 1.69 oz which I think is a pretty good value.


When I saw the sneak peak of my box I was SO excited I was going to receive this.  I've received Harvey Prince fragrance samples before, but I hate fragrance samples so I was so glad to get this scent in this lotion.  The full size Harvey Prince Ageless Body Cream is $22 in the Birchbox shop and I may just have to use up some of my points to get it, plus its pink.  This is easily my favorite item in the box.


I tend to be a little skeptical when trying new face products because I do have a tendency to break out, but Birchbox has yet to let me down and I do believe that is because they truly take into account your initial survey.  The Nugg Beauty Revitalizing Face Mask comes in packs of 5 for $14.99.  I haven't tried it yet because I already have a particular face mask I'm loving, but I do hope it does all that it says because my skin certainly needs it!


This was the item I chose for my box this month.  Of course, a few days after I chose it, I got a sample of this in some other subscription box, but luckily it was in Rose Gold Goddess so I got some variety.  I've never really used cream eyeshadows and I'm not sure I'm much of a fan.  I love Laura Geller Products in general and this is great quality.  The full size of the Laura Geller Beauty Cool Lids Cream Eyeshadow is $19, which is a bit pricey and it comes in a 3rd color, Bronze Beauty in addition to the Silver Sands and Rose Gold Goddess.  


Overall, this was the best Birchbox I think I've received since my first one.  While I may not have fallen in love with my sample choice, the great thing about samples is getting to try out things before you pay full price and end up hating something.  

Let me know what you think of my Birchbox and what you got in yours!  If you haven't subscribed yet,  DO IT! You won't regret it and you're really missing out on some great things.

Now its back to sitting at the airport for another 2 hours because for the first time in my life, I overslept and missed my morning flight.  It hasn't been a good day, but it at least gave me time to do some blogging!


XOXO,

Spectacular Jen

Comments