I Went to Oregon and Had a Life Changing Facial

It's been about 3 weeks since I've finished the California Bar Exam.  I remember the first few days after finishing (most of which I spent sleeping), I suddenly panicked and thought "what in the world do I do now?!"  This was about to be the first time in 21 years that I wasn't starting a new school year and the past 3 years of law school had sort of made me forgotten what I loved to do in my free time.  Being in the limbo phase of the end of law school and finding out bar results is such an odd time in a person's life.  You have to find a job because pretty soon those student loans can't be ignored, but you're not yet sure if you're even an attorney.  I started to feel lost, confused, and unsure about everything.  My biggest fear has always been that feeling of uncertainty, of not knowing what's going to happen next.  I always had a plan, but right now for the first time in my life, I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing even a week from now.


Hiking in Oregon
This past week, I was privileged to be invited on my boyfriend's family vacation in Sunriver, Oregon.  We went white water rafting, horseback riding, and hiking.  It was overall a great week, but it also gave me a lot of time to think.  Living in downtown San Diego made me forget how much I love nature.  The first night we were there, I saw my first thunderstorm in THREE YEARS.  Back in Virginia, we would get them at least once a week during the summer and yes, surprisingly enough, I missed them badly.  I was even graced with the presence of more hail than I've ever seen in my life.


Caught a few pieces of hail :)


One day on the trip, my boyfriend's mom kindly took me and his two sisters to the spa for some much-needed relaxation and pampering.  When she asked me if I'd ever really been to a spa or had a facial or massage before, I felt like a complete idiot saying that I hadn't done either of those things.  I mean this is the type of stuff girls love to do right?!  And here I am, at the age of 24, getting my first facial EVER.  All I can say is, I really missed out on something great all these years.

Anyway, the point of my blog post isn't to sit here and brag about how much I loved my trip this past week.  My point is to remind every female out there in the world how important it is to take time for yourself.  This past week made me realize how much of myself I neglected in law school.  I skipped out on so many haircuts, I neglected my nails, wore the same make-up every day, and I even did the unthinkable: some nights I was just TOO tired to wash my face.  My parents of course always told me to make sure I took time for myself and of course, with my Type A personality I brushed off this idea or just made-up stories that I was taking time for myself.  It wasn't until this past week that I realized how important it is to always put taking care of yourself first.


Horseback Riding for the first time  :)




Now, I'm not saying that everyone needs to go out and spend hundreds of dollars at some fancy spa because I certainly won't be doing that in the coming weeks because I can't afford it.  I'm simply stating my belief that everyone should at least take 20 minutes a day to do something for themselves. Whether it's reading a book, giving yourself a manicure and pedicure, or giving yourself your own at home facial- just go out there and do something that you love that is for you and only for you.

Since that facial, I've already finished Mindy Kaling's book for Birchbox's book club.  I highly recommend this...it was laugh out loud funny and I got quite a few stares in the airport last Saturday.  I've also read #Girlboss, which I highly recommend because it left me with a lot of great career ideas and hope for the future.  I'm currently reading a third book and I CANNOT wait to get back to San Diego tonight/tomorrow morning to give myself a mani/pedi and explore more of the samples from boxes I have waiting for me back home (most of which are from Birchbox and as I've said before at only $10 a month, this is a great way to take time for yourself so if I haven't convinced you yet, sign up with my referral link for a cheap way to explore new products and treat yourself!).


Reading and sharing a Coke Zero with Miguel at the airport

While the title of my blog post may be a bit of an exaggeration, I hope to encourage all of you reading my blog to take some time for yourself.  Go for a walk, try a new beauty product, read a book, or even start your own blog.  You don't have to spend a ton of money or any money at all.  Never forget to always love yourself because you will always be there for you and so it is never a selfish thing to put yourself first for a short amount of time each week.  In the end, I believe it will make you a better person in all aspects of your life.

Let me know what things you do for yourself/if you have any suggestions for me!  I love hearing feedback and getting new ideas from others.


XOXO,

Jen


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments